Monday, June 3, 2013

Curved Acrylic Case Final Assembly

So I have been messing about with my acrylic tube display for my Verlinden 120mm Crusade Knight. Today I opted to make a top for the case from a scrap piece of acrylic I had laying around. I used my trusty Harbor Freight scroll saw to cut it out of a sharpie pattern I drew on the protective plastic wrap.
(As a note, wear eye protection when cutting acrylic, the "fuzz" will jump into your eyelashes and cause you a serious case of itchy peepers!)
Final not about cutting, I snapped my blade, not because of the acrylic, but because my tensioner knob had not bee tightened in some time. If you have a scroll saw, ensure you keep your tensioner relatively tight.


So I cut a circle out of acrylic stock, sanded the edges just a tad.



So I went to use my super awesome acrylic 15 nanosecond cement, and to my rude surprise, the stuff had totally evaporated!!! If you buy this stuff, you will need to store it in an airtight container!!!


Alas I was not set back, because I had also purchased trusty acrylic solvent #16. This stuff comes out of the tube like nothing I have ever worked with, it starts like toothpaste, then "goos" on like acetone. Be VERY careful not to smear it, or make it "stringy" as it will cloud up your acrylic.


After pre-cleaning the edges, and applying the solvent to the top of the tube, I layed on the top piece. Then I used a military stein full of pencils for weight. You know, a military stein, everyone has one of those laying about!


Once you get the glue to dry totally, you can polish the tube with plastic cleaner Brilliant sollution. Any acrylic polish will work, but this stuff is the tops.

This is the test fit in the completed tube!

Curved Acrylic Display Case

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments clean please!!!