Thursday, October 16, 2014

Past Project: Battletech Union Class Dropship (Mini-Scale)

While I don't get to play as much as I used to, I still confess to have a major love of the original tabletop wargame Battletech. It got me through High School, and continues to be a love of mine. One of my penultimate projects was to build a miniature scaled dropship.

Here are a few older pics of the ship. The name of the ship was the Huntress, which originally was featured in the Grey Death Legion books as a mercenary vessel.

Sorry about the quality. The minis featured are 3 very classic Davion mechs: Legionaire, Enforcer III, and a reseen Rifleman.


The ship was made using a giant Christmas bulb for outdoor trees. The bottom was cut out to make the engine inserts. Hardpoints were made inside the shell for landing gear and weapons.


The "aztec" pattern was hand done, and up close looks a bit silly. However at a distance it adds character to the vessel. I also glued on very thin sheets of styrene to complete the "plated" look. 


The ships weapons were cut from discarded Mechwarrior figures and tanks, and many items from my spares box.


The giant Davion decal seen above was made with testor's decal paper. 


The landing gear were made with dowels, coffee stirrers and coke bottle caps!


A lower deck was added that can "stow" six mechs. The ramp had to have styrene glued in place to keep the mechs from sliding down the ramp.


While not seen in these photos is a fighter bay which can hold two fighters mounted towards the top.

I got the inspiration to post this from a blog I have been following about a person who is making a miniature scale Leopard Class Ship. It's very cool, give it a look!!!


The project probably cost a total of 24 bucks! It took a lot of time to cut and find parts to complete it.
I do have a giant easter egg that I may build into an Overlord Class, but that is a very back burner project!!!

Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments clean please!!!