Sunday, February 2, 2014

My blog gets crabs...Sherman Flail Crabs that is! Flames of War

 
Alright so I mentioned to a few folks before that I got a serious hankering to make a Breaching Group since I saw them in the Scottish .PDF featured on the Flames of War website. I love my FOW Britts, and the Scottish 15th or 51st Highlanders were even better. What put the cake under the frosting for me was this little Breaching Group in the army list. It was listed under Hobart's Funnies, which was an unconventional battalion of very specialized tanks and equipment to make it up the beach on D-Day. You can look it up on the FOW website, but I will tell you it is a little mini-intense to create all the options for a Breaching Group.
So as I was strolling my local discount/closeout chain store I came across this book:


 
It is all you ever wanted to know about the 1st Assault Brigade and their equipment. Every unit and subunit is detailed including "REAL" battle reports from the D-Day landings. What worked and what went wrong.
 
So for Christmas I asked my lovely family for a few things, and low and behold, they nailed it! The Coups De Tat (SP?!?!) for me about the way this group is played in FOW is the fact that if you don't need a breaching group, you get to trade in your group for a vanilla Sherman Platoon w/Firefly or an M10 Anti-Tank Platoon. For me this was win-win! However I didn't have any M10's and that was what arrived on X-mas day!
 
Here are a few photos of me painting and assembling the various minis I got. While unrelated, I also needed some AA transport trucks, and some transport lorries (for pioneers). Those are pictured as well.
 


First let me start by saying the turret fit on 2 out of the 3 Shermans was terrible.

 
You can see the gap in the turret.
 




So I used my forstner bit on my electric drill to gouge out the resin hole a little. Sure I could have called Battlefront, and their amazing customer service would have helped me, but I had the tools and talent to take care of this one myself! 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Drilling done. Turret fits perfect!
 
 

 
 
 
 
Don't let the parts intimidate you! You just get more for your money!
 
 
Testor's Olive Drab. The best spray olive drab you can get for your money at Michael's WITH a coupon!!!


 
The sponsons are pretty obvious as to where they go. Tracks too.

 
There is 3 counter weights that go on the back of the tank. The two side weights should face up towards the turret. The two panel lines should be on bottom.
 
Paint up your details prior to putting on the chains and especially the "Follow Me" lights on the back.
 
 
Do NOT try and put these together without a very good set of wire cutters. Glue the chains on at miscellaneous lengths as these flails were designed to hit the ground at different times and pressures.
 
 
Here is one of my finished crabs. Follow me lights installed.
 
 
Here you see the follow me lights. They were four red lights that showed following troops and vehicles how and where to line up behind the Crabs to ensure they were on the path. They work the same way that range lights work for ships coming into port. I think if you saw the lights ever blink out you knew that the poor Sherman crew had gotten into trouble!
 
 
I never intended to take more than 3 of these because I figured I would always need a pioneer or engineering team to go with them.
 
 
 
And here they are. Royal Engineers reporting!
 
 
Done! I added some timber and bushes to make them stand out.
 
 
Next the trucks.
 
 
The windows were done by dry brushing gray and high lighting edges with white. A nice effect actually.
 
So for Xmas I also got a can of this stuff since everyone RAVED about it. I tried it out.
 
 
 
 
Needless to say I was not impressed! I tried sealing and toning down the extreme gloss with some acrylic dull coat...
Do NOT do that. Use two coats of Testors Dull Cote. I don't know why but that stuff is also the bomb when it comes to sealing. You will need TWO coats. Do one and then give it a day then do the other and "Ouilla!"
 
 
 
 See the difference. Faith restored! You will need to mix it better than I did, and probably not use the "Dip" method, but the brush on method.
 
AA Tractors and an M5 Halftrack
 
DO NOT DO THIS!!! The AA Tractors have 6 very finicky wheels. Build them one at a time, or put the wheels in separate bins. This was a HUGE mistake on my part.
 

 
Sorry it's blurry. The back one came out OK.
 
Half-Track Prior to shading.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Keep your comments clean please!!!